Monday, July 20, 2015

Time

We're getting into the full swing of life with four kids under the age of five and it definitely has its ups and downs! I can never guess from what minute to the next what the day is going to hold.
 
At some points, both babies will be crying and I just have to switch off between the two of them; the one I'm holding quiet and the other one screaming- then switch and they trade roles! I try to just laugh because we can't afford to have three of us crying and what else can I do!? Meanwhile, Emerson has taken it upon herself to help me clean the house by dipping a rag in the toilet and wiping down all the surfaces she can reach making the house 'super clean mom! I'm helping you!' (Then we were all crying!) I am fairly good at keeping my sanity, I try to talk to grown ups everyday and keep the perspective that this is such a short time in my life and I need to take advantage of it and enjoy the journey. I get teary eyed when I think about how quickly Drake is growing before my eyes, knowing (or maybe a better word is hoping haha!) that he will very likely be the last baby in our house! I am so grateful for my smalls and the time I get with them!
 
I came across a blog this week when I was looking for a song to put on the DVD of pictures I was putting together of Zane to play at the dinner after the babies' blessings and sealing this week. It is written by a woman who lost her 12 year old son unexpectedly. She dedicated her blog to the blessings and tender mercies Heavenly Father sent her after his passing. As I read her testimony, mine was strengthened as well. I am reminded how sacred my job is with my kids. The days are often long, but I realize as I see Tate learn more and more daily, Emerson grow and express her personality, Zane pick up on new things and Drake get chubbier and chubbier, that the years are short and I need to enjoy having my focus on them, not just endure it. We never know what the next day will hold. In the blog I found she shared this quote that Elder Andersen shared in a recent general conference:
"Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something you do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for."
(Rachel Jankovic, "Motherhood is a Calling (and Where your Children Rank)", July 12, 2011)
...can't read that and not look for ways to adjust my approach... When the days got long and hard this week, I was able to think back to this quote and try to better appreciate and utilize "my" time.

As far as the day to day goes, I get a lot less sleep around here than I did five years ago, but we're plugging along and having fun in the process!
 

  Zane sticks out his whole tongue to eat

They look exactly like twins don't they?! Just kidding!



No comments:

Post a Comment